JEM Swim Awards
Stanley Level 7
JEM Beginners Class
This JEM class requires a comfortable and visual display of second nature awareness in and around the pool environment. New swimming distances of up to 10mtrs on both front and back are also required to make this level of attainment skill. Greater water confidence and self-trust skills will be apparent. This class level will accommodate children into JEM swimming classes with the teacher in the pool for the entire class. A child learning to swim should be both fun and educational. We believe the best way to achieve this is to create safe environments in which children can be introduced to the water whilst having fun and by providing a progressive learn to swim programme that is both challenging and rewarding.
Class Skills Set
- Answer 3 water safety questions
- Perform a star float, slowly change to a narrow float and return to a star float on either the front or back
- Push and glide on back with arms stretched then roll onto front
- Swim 2 metres, dolphin leg kick on the front or back
- Tread water for 10 seconds
- Swim 5 metres using a frog breaststroke type action of the arms and legs
- Swim 10 metres of front crawl confidently, attempt side breathing
- Swim 10 metres on the back confidently
- Swim through a submerged hoop and retrieve an object
- Scull/scoop head first ,using a woggle, and arms only
* On the first day of term we carry out an ability assessment and continue with evaluation of each student. JEM will identify the best award scheme and skill level for each student to aim for. Progress is best achieved by small steps of attainment. This class skill set table can be helpful when deciding which JEM swim class or group to enrol in.
JEM Swim School's STAnley First Step Series is designed to teach children aged 3 years upwards to learn to swim. After completing the 7 steps of the STAnley First Steps Series, learners should progress to the Goldfish Series. JEM would recommend that Older children should learn to swim via the Octopus Series route for age appropiate reasons. JEM will evaluate and adjust as found necessary.