JEM Swim Awards
Stanley Level 3
JEM Beginners Class
This JEM class skill level is for children that have gained water confidence and some swimming pool skills and experienece. This class level will accomodate children into JEM swimming classes with the teacher in the pool for the entire class. A child’s first learn to swim experience is one of the most important in terms of capturing and retaining their interest. We believe the best way to achieve this is to create safe environments in which children can be introduced to the water whilst having fun and by providing a progressive learn to swim programme that is both challenging and rewarding.
Class Skills Set
- Answer a question on poolside safety rules
- Enter the water from poolside, move forward 1 metre, then return and exit the pool unassisted
- Blow bubbles into the water with face submerged
- Perform a star float while on the back and regain the feet
- Move through the water while on the back, using an alternating leg action for 5 metres
- Move through the water 5 metres on the front, using front paddle action
- Complete a 360° turntable with feet off the pool floor
- Roll from back to front and return onto the back
- Jump or step into the water from poolside with hand support from a swimming teacher or assistant
- Show treading water action with legs on woggle – (seahorses)
* On the first day of term we carry out an ability assessment and continue with evaluation of each student. JEM will identify the best award scheme and skill level for each student to aim for. Progress is best achieved by small steps of attainment. This class skill set table can be helpful when deciding which JEM swim class or group to enrol in.
JEM Swim School's STAnley First Step Series is designed to teach children aged 3 years upwards to learn to swim. After completing the 7 steps of the STAnley First Steps Series, learners should progress to the Goldfish Series. JEM would recommend that Older children should learn to swim via the Octopus Series route for age appropiate reasons. JEM will evaluate and adjust as found necessary.