JEM Swim Awards
Start with JEM
JEM Swim School will accept children from 3 years old into our Learn to Swim Programme, Stanley 1 is at the beginning of our Learn to Swim process. Our classes are designed to teach your children how to swim in a fun and enjoyable way. JEM classes are small and the teachers are actually in the pool with the children, providing them with the confidence and security for the entire lesson.
Stanley Level 1
JEM Beginners Class
This JEM class skill level is for children without any water or swimming pool experienece at all, this is an introduction to JEM swimming classes with the teacher in the pool for the entire class. A child’s first learn to swim experience is one of the most important in terms of capturing and retaining their interest. We believe the best way to achieve this is to create safe environments in which children can be introduced to the water whilst having fun and by providing a progressive learn to swim programme that is both challenging and rewarding.
Class Skills Set
- Identify the teacher
- Enter the water safely
- Splash feet at water’s surface while supported by wall/ woggle/adult and then return to a standing position
- Walk forwards, backwards and sideways through the water unaided for 5 metres. If in deeper water, unassisted walking actions may be substituted
- Move through the water on the front for 2 metres, turn around and move back to start position
- Move through the water for 2 metres on the back, roll to regain feet.
- Blow a small object across the pool for 2 metres
- Travel under a woggle bridge and through a shower created by a watering can
- Push and glide on the front
- Exit pool safely
* On the first day of term we carry out an ability assessment and continue with evaluation of each student. JEM will identify the best award scheme and skill level for each student to aim for. Progress is best achieved by small steps of attainment. This class skill set table can be helpful when deciding which JEM swim class or group to enrol in.
JEM Swim School's STAnley First Step Series is designed to teach children aged 3 years upwards to learn to swim. After completing the 7 steps of the STAnley First Steps Series, learners should progress to the Goldfish Series. JEM would recommend that Older children should learn to swim via the Octopus Series route for age appropiate reasons. JEM will evaluate and adjust as found necessary.